AKIPRESS.COM - The most powerful typhoon to hit South Korea in years has battered its southern region, dumping almost a metre (3ft) of rain, destroying roads and bringing down power lines after thousands of people were evacuated to safer ground, Aljazeera reported.
Eight people have been reported missing from submerged underground parking garages in the southeastern city of Pohang, officials said Tuesday, bringing the toll from Typhoon Hinnamnor to two dead and 10 unaccounted for.
Typhoon Hinnamnor skirted the resort island of Jeju and made landfall in the country’s south near the port of Busan early on Tuesday, authorities said, with heavy rain and strong winds expected to continue throughout the day.
The storm follows record rain around the capital Seoul in August that caused severe flooding; at least 14 people were killed.
Prime Minister Han Duk-soo called for evacuations in areas vulnerable to flooding, saying Hinnamnor could end up being a “historically strong typhoon that we never experienced before”.
Since Sunday, more than 94cm (37 inches) of rain has fallen in central Jeju, where winds peaked at 155 kilometres per hour (96 miles per hour).
Some 20,000 homes were left without electricity in southern districts as the wind brought down power cables.
As of Tuesday morning, more than 3,463 people had been evacuated, and officials were advising or ordering 14,000 more people to leave their homes.